Sunday, March 20, 2016

Just a glimpse

Returning to Quito has been an exciting and smooth transition so far.  My days have been filled with reconnecting with friends, pastoral visits with Luis (pastor of the Quito Mennonite Church), art projects with the children at the church's after school program (vida juvenil), meetings about my role here, translating documents for the upcoming Church Partnership meetings, visits to my previous host mom to ask for the secret to her delicious cooking, the monthly women's gathering at the church, and a bit of visa rigmarole.  Settling in and finding my niche takes time, but I'd say I'm off to a good start.  Normally I attend the Quito Mennonite Church, but today I took advantage of the opportunity to worship with my friends at the Mennonite Church in Calderón, just north of Quito.  Here are a few photos to give you a glimpse into my day:

The view of volcano Cotopaxi from my window in the home of MMN workers, Delicia & Peter, where I am staying until my apartment is ready.

Nicolas & Victoria, affectionately know in the church as "los abuelitos."

María Helena, pastor of the Calderón congregation, checking in with los abuelitos.

Daniel & Matías watching the older kids play soccer in the courtyard outside the Calderón church.

 Leslie with the donkey puppet she made in Sunday School.


3 comments:

  1. Thank you, Gloria! Seeing pictures and names in print really helps me distinguish between and among all the names I've heard. Hopefully it will help when we meet these people in person!
    Good job with the lunch box camera!
    Love and miss,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. So good to hear from you, Gloria, and get some pictures that help us imagine where you are. Glad things are off to a good start. We miss you and you are in our hearts and prayers!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Brenda! I miss you all too and send you my love!

      Delete